Matt started his career watching paint dry. Literally.
Working in research for a paint company gave him plenty of time to work on his illustration skills. Only when a colleague challenged him to try and sell some of his work did Matt start to explore cartooning and illustration as a career.
Since then Matt has worked as a cartoonist and illustrator in a variety of fields including advertising, disability, adult education, mental health and for survivors of abuse. He has had work published in text books, journals, advertising materials, web sites, newsletters, magazines, catalogues, packaging and bill boards. Working in the age of digital media, Matt produces his artwork using an electronic tablet to draw directly to his computer. This method produces crisp, sharp images that can be reproduced easily in a variety of media.
Matt travels throughout Victoria visiting primary and secondary schools teaching cartooning and illustration to all age groups. In 2015 he taught over 3500 students from suburban Melbourne, to the Peninsula, to Central Victoria, and even hitched a ride with the Mobile Library (MARC) to visit some of the smaller schools in the Western District. He also becomes the hero of parents during the school holidays by running holiday “cartoon drawing” programs.
When he is not drawing, Matt runs MGA Counselling Services in Melbourne’s Eastern suburbs, working with individuals, couples and families to help them achieve a full and abundant life. As part of his counselling work, Matt uses his drawing skills to run workshops on “Creativity and Wellbeing” to show the health benefits of being creative and to explode the myth that says, “I can’t draw!”
Combining his drawing and his counselling, Matt has written and published Shapes, Lines and Dots: Cartooning, Creativity and Wellbeing for Kids which is available through the shop link above.
If you would like to book Matt for your cartoon project, or you would like to invite him to your school or group, please call 1300 38 50 20 or use the contact page.
Matt is a highly organised and talented cartoonist! His manner with all 700 students was engaging and very professional. As an ‘inclusive’ school, Matt’s incursion catered for students of all levels very well.
It’s been a pleasure having you work with us!Williamstown North Primary School
Easy to follow steps meant that every child felt they had achieved something, and they were delighted with their end results!Columba Catholic Primary School, Bunyip
To book a school incursion, please visit the cartoon incursion booking information page.
To hire Matt for your cartoon or illustration project, please send an email using the contact page with the following information:
- The type of cartoon/illustration you are after. Is it a cartoon strip? A single panel? Colour? Black and white?
- The size of the images you are after. Do you want them the size of a postage stamp or a billboard?
- How many images you need for your project.
- How you would like the images delivered. That is, what file type you require.
- When you need them by (ie the deadline!). The longer Matt has, the better your project will be. If you need something by tomorrow, Matt can do it, but you’ll pay a premium.
- The audience for your work.
- Your total budget.
Before you send the email though, be aware of the following conditions:
- Matt’s rates are negotiable depending on the type and size of the project. The rates recommended by the Australian Cartoonists Association are used as a guide.
- Matt retains copyright on all his work. Images are sold with exclusive rights for the quoted project. Subsequent use for reprints, new editions, or other projects will attract a small re-usage fee per image.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is required upfront to secure the project.
- Additional fees may be charged if major changes are required to finished images. However, if good communication is maintained throughout the duration of the project, this should be avoided.
- The balance of the fee if payable withing 14 days of delivery, regardless if the images are used in the finished product.
Once I have received your email, I will get back to you with my availability and a quote for your project.
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the contact page or call 1300 38 50 20.